What is Middleware?
Middleware is software that provides services to software applications beyond those available from the operating system. It can be described as "software glue". Middleware makes it easier for software developers to implement communication and input/output, so they can focus on the specific purpose of their application.
Where did Middleware come from?
Middleware first came into existence in the 1960s, when mainframe computers were the dominant computing platform. These mainframes were expensive and complex, and required a lot of specialised knowledge to operate. Middleware was developed to make it easier for developers to build applications that could run on these mainframes.
In the 1980s, middleware became more popular as the use of personal computers and distributed systems grew. Middleware was used to connect these different systems and applications together, and to provide common services such as security and data management.
Today, middleware is an essential part of any modern IT infrastructure. It is used to connect a wide variety of applications and systems, and to provide a wide range of services. Some of the most common types of middleware include:
Message brokers are used to send and receive messages between applications.
Transaction processing monitors:
Transaction processing monitors are used to manage transactions between applications.
Enterprise application integration (EAI):
EAI is used to integrate different applications and systems together.
Web services are used to expose application functionality over the internet.
API management is used to control access to application programming interfaces (APIs).
Why is middleware essential?
Middleware is a complex and ever-evolving field. However, it is essential for the development and operation of modern IT systems.
Here are some of the benefits of using middleware:
- Increased flexibility: Middleware can help to make applications more flexible and adaptable to change.
- Improved performance: Middleware can help to improve the performance of applications by providing common services and by optimising communication between applications.
- Reduced costs: Middleware can help to reduce the costs of developing and maintaining applications by providing reusable components and services.
- Improved security: Middleware can help to improve the security of applications by providing features such as authentication and authorisation.
- Increased scalability: Middleware can help to increase the scalability of applications by providing features such as load balancing and clustering.
How is MobiusFlow used as Middleware?
MobiusFlow is an advanced middleware solution that can be used to connect, control, and monitor and communicate with Internet of Things (IoT) based devices. It provides a variety of features, including:
- Device connectivity: MobiusFlow can connect to a wide variety of IoT devices, including sensors, actuators, and gateways.
- Data collection and processing: MobiusFlow can collect data from IoT devices and process it in real time.
- Device control: MobiusFlow can control IoT devices, such as turning on and off lights or opening and closing doors.
- Device monitoring: MobiusFlow can monitor IoT devices for problems, such as low battery or sensor failure.
- Data visualisation: MobiusFlow can collect, collate and push data to visualisation tools such as Microsoft Azure, Thingsboard and Amazon web services as well as local servers and systems or just a simple email or text message notification for alerts.
MobiusFlow can also be used to integrate IoT devices with other systems, such as enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems or manufacturing execution systems (MES). This can help to improve the efficiency and productivity of businesses.
Here are some specific examples of how MobiusFlow can be used as middleware:
- A manufacturing company can use MobiusFlow to connect its machines to a cloud-based platform. This would allow the company to monitor the machines remotely in real time and identify any problems early on.
MobiusFlow is a powerful middleware platform that can be used to connect, control, and monitor IoT devices. It can be used in a variety of ways to improve the efficiency, for predictive maintenance, for automated responses and alerts, and productivity of businesses and organisations.
To find out more or book a discovery call with us please get in touch via the button below.