By Chris Moorhouse, CTO MobiusFlow, find our more about Chris here
The Internet of Things (IoT) has connected countless devices and machines, generating vast amounts of data. While this data holds promise for providing valuable insights, a challenge exists. IoT devices use a variety of communication protocols that determine how they exchange data, this in turn creates barriers for effective use of that data.
The solution is normalising IoT data across protocols, by transforming the data into consistent formats, normalisation enables seamless communication between diverse systems and devices. This creates a cohesive data stream that can be easily analysed for actionable insights.
With normalised data, IoT systems become more interoperable. Devices from different manufacturers using various protocols can smoothly integrate and share information. Normalisation simplifies adding new IoT components to existing infrastructure without extensive customisation. It also streamlines regulatory compliance, data analytics, and real-time decision making.
Some of the Benefits of Normalising IoT Data:
- Improves integration between devices and systems, regardless of manufacturer or protocol. This enables interoperability.
- Simplifies data analysis by structuring data consistently. Data scientists can work faster with normalised data sets.
- Allows easy scaling. New IoT devices integrate smoothly into existing data flows.
- Reduces costs by minimising the need for custom interfaces and transformations.
- Enhances data quality by identifying and fixing inconsistencies.
- Enables real-time monitoring and responses by processing normalised data rapidly.
- Simplifies regulatory compliance by applying standards consistently across data.
Before you get started its important to make a plan, this should include:
- Assessing data types and communication protocols.
- Developing a common data model.
- Applying transformations to structure data consistently.
- Using databases and platforms to manage and normalise data flows.
- Preprocessing data at the source when possible to minimise bandwidth.
How can MobiusFlow help streamline the data normalisation process?
MobiusFlow takes data from a wide range of sources and devices then converts it into an easily readable format. Once your data has been normalised, it can then be processed. Contained within MobiusFlow is logic, local control and device drivers which can handle the data in both directions - simultaneously sending data for analytics to dashboards or third party software in the cloud or delivering instructions to control devices based on the response from those analytics.
Unlock the full potential of IoT by bridging the communication gaps between proprietary protocols with MobiusFlow our advanced middleware solution that Connects, Controls and Communicates with a wide range of sensors, devices and data pools.
If you'd like to find out more or become an approved partner please get in touch. For Innovators, System Integrators, Solution Providers, OEMs, and Data Consultants.